|View printer-friendly version|
“From 2015 to 2016 Charles River nearly doubled its support for
Moderna’s mRNA drug discovery and development portfolio, aligned with
Moderna’s continued advancement and scale-up of its discovery efforts
and development pipeline,” said
Through the collaboration, Charles River and Moderna have worked together to develop unique and comprehensive solutions tailored to Moderna’s business, including:
- Designing specific protocols to assess safety in mRNA development candidates.
- Focusing on a highly flexible business model that allows rapid expansion of research throughput to ensure that capacity remains one step ahead of the development programs it supports.
- Assembling a highly collaborative team across both companies to ensure a scalable service that can readily accelerate IND-enabling studies, providing Moderna with faster research study starts and faster turnaround timelines.
- Providing flexibility in accessing the broad portfolio of research models and services used in Moderna’s discovery programs.
- Working with Moderna to provide expert counsel on best practices for running successful vivariums and scheduling studies.
"Our Research and Early Development Engines are enabling us to advance high-quality mRNA therapeutics and vaccines across modalities and therapeutic areas with unique breadth, speed and scale. Charles River's support for our non-GLP and GLP toxicology studies is an important component of our discovery and early development processes," said Stéphane Bancel, Chief Executive Officer of Moderna. "Charles River has been a valued partner, given their expertise, intense focus on quality, agility and the ability to accommodate the pace at which we are advancing mRNA programs."
Moderna’s current development pipeline includes 12 mRNA development candidates, including vaccines and therapeutics across three therapeutic areas: infectious diseases, immuno-oncology and cardiovascular disease, with five clinical studies underway.
Utilizing Charles River’s broad portfolio of products and services, which can be tailored to specific research requirements, clients can create a more flexible drug development model which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness, and increases speed to market.
About Charles River
Charles River provides essential products and services to help pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, government agencies and leading academic institutions around the globe accelerate their research and drug development efforts. Our dedicated employees are focused on providing clients with exactly what they need to improve and expedite the discovery, early-stage development and safe manufacture of new therapies for the patients who need them. To learn more about our unique portfolio and breadth of services, visit www.criver.com.
Susan E. Hardy, 781-222-6190
Corporate Vice President, Investor Relations
Amy Cianciaruso, 781-222-6168
Corporate Vice President, Public Relations